My research interests touch especially the area of active learning in the field of robotics. So I try to apply machine learning techniques to the problem of autonomous robotics. This includes especially -- but is not limited to -- Bayesian techniques. In our curious robot project we experiment on autonomous exploration on our PR2 robot and use our active learning insights directly on real world problems. We are especially interested on degrees of freedom in the world and how robot could explore them and their structure to achieve task goals.
Earlier I was involved in the RoboCup Soccer team Fumanoids, where I wrote my master's thesis about humanoid gait generation.
I support the 'Erklärung der Initative für Hochschulen für den Frieden' (declaration of the initiative for universities for peace) against research for military purpose.
- J. Kulick, S. Otte, M. Toussaint: Robots Solving Serial Means-Means-End Problems, In Proc. of Combining AI Reasoning and Cognitive Science with Robotics Workshop at Robotics: Science and Systems, 2015, pdf
- J. Kulick, S. Otte, M. Toussaint: Active Exploration of Joint Dependency Structures, In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2015, pdf
- J. Kulick, R. Lieck, M. Toussaint: Active Learning of Hyperparameters: An Expected Cross Entropy Criterion for Active Model Selection, arXiv e-pub: 1409.7552, 2014, pdf
- S. Otte, J. Kulick, M. Toussaint, O. Brock: Entropy Based Strategies for Physical Exploration of the Environment's Degrees of Freedom, In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2014, pdf
- J. Kulick, M. Toussaint, T. Lang, M. Lopes: Active Learning for Teaching a Robot Grounded Relational Symbols, In Proc. of the Int. Joint Conf. of Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), 2013, pdf
- D. Seifert, S. Otte, J. Kulick, N. v. Schmude, L. Dohrmann, S. Heinrich, H. Moballegh, S. Mielke, L. Freitag, S. Hohberg, J. Auer, M. Losch, R. Rojas: Berlin United – FUmanoids Team Description Paper 2012, RoboCup 2012, pdf
- J. Kulick: Ein stabiler Gang für humanoide, Fußball spielende Roboter, Masters thesis, Freie Universität Berlin, 2011, German, pdf
- D. Seifert, H. Moballegh, S. Heinrich, S. Oe, S. Mielke, N. von Schmude, T. Weißgerber, K. Würfel, R. Jonschkowski, J.Kulick, M. Fröhlich, J. Streckenbach, G. Lubitz, N. von Geyso, M. Schubert, Fu Yao, S. Puhlmann, O. Morillo, L. Freitag, R.Rojas: FUmanoids Team Description Paper 2011, RoboCup 2011, pdf
Courses I Taught
2011/12Softwareprojekt: A novel type of robot porogramming infrastructure
In my spare time I program on some smaller projects. You can find them here. For all the even smaller stuff check my GitHub account.
A simple, yet useful music player for musicians. It can set A-B-repeat very precisely. I'm also working on integrating some signal processing to time stretch songs. All this is for easily playing along your favorite music, even if your skills don't match the artists ones yet.
mailless.org is the joint mail server of some friends of mine and myself. This is basically an 'admin' project. I don't really write software -- apart from scripts -- for it.
In 2008, during my Bachelors, I was a participant of the Google Summer of Code. I wrote some drag'n'drop widgets for Audacity.
Berlin office:c/o TU Berlin
Tel.: +49 (0) 30 - 314 25395
Stuttgart Office:Universitätsstr. 38
Email:johannes.kulick [at] ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
You may consider contacting me encrypted. my gpg key.
Normally you can just knock at my door (if it's not already open).