70569 Stuttgart, Germany
tel: +49 711 685 88376
- We are offering a new International Master in Computer Science with Major in Autonomous Systems (includes AI + Machine Learning + Robotics). Interested students please see the website on how to apply to this study program.
since 12/12 Full Prof. at University of Stuttgart; head of the Machine Learning and Robotics Lab. 10/10-11/12 Prof. (W1) at the Department of Math and Computer Science, FU Berlin; head of the Machine Learning and Robotics Lab at FU Berlin 3/07-10/10 head of the Machine Learning and Robotics group (Emmy Noether Programme) at the IDA lab (Klaus-Robert Müller), TU Berlin. 8/06-2/07 guest scientist at the Honda Research Institute, Offenbach. 6/04-6/06 post doc at the Machine Learning group (Chris Williams) and the Statistical Machine Learning and Motor Control group (Sethu Vijayakumar), University of Edinburgh. 4/00-5/04 PhD student (& brief post doc) at the Adaptive Systems group, Institut für Neuroinformatik (Werner von Seelen), Ruhr-Universität-Bochum. 6/98-3/00 student at the Cologne gravity group (Friedrich W. Hehl), Institute for Theoretical Physics, U Cologne.
- current research interests
- Planning as probabilistic inference: probabilistic inference for solving (PO)MDPs, for stochastic optimal control, in robotics. Probabilistic inference as a model of goal-directed behavior in cognitive sciences.
- Robotics: Bayesian view on motor control and planning, probabilistic models for object grasping and manipulation, motor primitives, latent variable models of motion
- general Machine Learning: learning representations, Bayesian networks & graphical models, learning in deep factor graphs, belief propagation, structured output
- generally, I'm also interested in relations to neuro science (e.g., the relation between neural dynamics and probabilistic inference, or between free energy models of neural dynamics and planning by inference) and to cognitive science (models of goal-directed behavior).