With the Priority Programme 1527 Autonomous Learning the German Research Foundation supports from 2012-2018 basic research on learning methods in artificial systems. More than 50 scientists from the fields of machine learning, robotics and neuroscience participate in the programme (see map below, a complete list of all projects here).
Summary of the scientific programme
Autonomous Learning research aims at understanding how autonomous systems can efficiently learn from the interaction with the environment, especially by having an integrated approach to decision making and learning, allowing systems to autonomously decide on actions, representations, hyperparameters and model structures for the purpose of efficient learning. Specific research topics are:
* Research that aims to make machine learning methods more autonomous w.r.t.\ to the choice of hyper-parameters, representations, kernels, and specific learning algorithm. Research on learning deep representations.
* Systems that have learning as their primary goal, as in active learning, autonomous exploration and intrinsic motivation approaches.
* Research on the above in the concrete robotics context, that is,integrated active learning and decision making in natural environments.
* Mathematical views on analysis, modelling and evaluation of autonomy itself and autonomously learning systems.
Initiators of the Priority Programme proposal
See also Initiators.
Coordination & information
The maps shows all participating projects.
- Wissenschaftliches Programm des SPP 1527 (gekürzter Antrag zur Einrichtung des SPP)
- Ausschreibung 2. Phase des SPP
- Pressemeldungen zur Bewilligung des Schwerpunktprogramms